| Susannah and I stand in front of the small house where Edgar Allan Poe lived while a resident of Baltimore |
| I wish I could meet the young man who painted this and tell him how much it moved me. |
Keeping this blog has taught me how obsessed with architecture I am since I so often feel compelled to photograph and then show others random buildings that I see that I find beautiful. Discovering this passion of mine has been exciting, and I'm hoping one day that I can take a course or two in the art of architecture to begin to put words and concepts to the styles that I find beautiful. Until then, I will just show you things that stuck out to me. Below are photos of my three favorite churches (architecturally speaking) in Baltimore. I got the chance to bike past all three of them (within a block or so) over the month of January as I volunteered in the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center.
Much else has happened in my life, but a lot of it is simply schoolwork and my relationships with my classmates. School has been interesting and busy, as always. In physics, we have dedicated most of the semester to learning about electromagnetism. Organic chemistry has mostly concerned itself with the chemical reactions of benzene rings and carbonyl-containing compounds so far, though we begin our study of biochemistry (polypeptides, carbohydrates, and enzymes) next week. Biology has covered everything from phylogenetics to plant physiology. And all of my lab classes have been good, especially biology lab, which has been mostly dissections, and organic chemistry lab, which is probably my favorite class. (We did a two-step synthesis of acetylsalicylic acid, commonly known as aspirin, in our first two labs. We've done a transesterification reaction starting with benzaldehyde, the molecule responsible for the pleasant smell of almond extract, an extraction of caffeine from crude tea leaves, a synthesis of banana-smelling oil last week, and many other fascinating experiments using cool laboratory techniques and equipment!) All in all, I have already learned a bunch this semester. And my relationships with my classmates, particularly my closest friends, have grown. Tim and I have grown even closer, for example. We've had some deep talks and a whole lot of even deeper belly laughter in between. We've also spent a lot of time together covering the dry-erase walls of the library's study rooms in reaction mechanisms and synthetic pathways for organic chemistry, as Tim is shown doing below. I don't know what I'd do without him and Anna in this program.
| Tim stands proudly beneath a wall showing you just about everything you can do to a ketone, aldehyde, ester, carboxylic acid, acyl chloride, and other organic molecules! |
That painting that won the award is inspirational! Very moving. Thanks for sharing it. Also, I love the things that you and Susannah chose to do to celebrate your birthday. I think that you and I should take architecture classes together -- you, because you are discovering your passion for it and me, because I am scared of buildings! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you're surviving the program and cultivating great friendships with people in it. I'm so glad that Tim and Anna are there to help you through!
I love the architectural pictures you post! I look forward to the day when both you and Carolyn can tell me about the architecture class ;) It's nice to put a face with the name, "Tim" so thanks for posting that pic. I'm glad you've had him and Anna during this strenuous program. You're almost done!! What a task you will have accomplished!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this wonderful update! i'm so glad Susannah came down.
ReplyDeletei totally agree with your comment:
"How different would the world be if we all saw ourselves as inheritors of great privilege and great responsibility from the amazing people who came before us?"
Amen to that!
can't wait to see you in early June and explore Baltimore with our favorite 25 year old in the whole world!!