As I unfortunately predicted at the end of my last post, I wasn't able to add another installment to my blog until after the semester wrapped up. I apologize that months have gone by without a word. Let me catch you up on my life happenings.
 |
A differential wave equation and experiments that
elucidated the wave-particle duality of electrons
led to our current understanding of atomic structure
and molecular bonding. |
The semester stayed busy and difficult until the very end, and it ended with something of a bang! Hopkins gives its students 4 days before final examinations begin as part of a "reading period." (Though it sounds so generous and humane, Saturday and Sunday counted as two of the four days of that reading period, and finals were scheduled over the following weekend, like my physics final on Saturday morning. So much for that!) Reading period was an almost sacred stretch of guarded, coveted time where we were allowed to do what we so often craved doing during the semester but frequently couldn't due to other demands on our time--study for long, uninterrupted periods. During the few days before my finals, things coalesced and solidified in my brain like never before in my studies. While studying physics, for example, I finally achieved a firm grasp of the mathematics of waves and wave functions, and I had a nerdy epiphany where I realized that everything is a wave. From electromagnetic waves that we experience as heat, light, microwaves, and radio waves; to sound waves that allow us to speak, listen, create music, and function as social creatures; to the wave-particle dual-nature of elemental particles like the electron that are the fundamental building blocks of all matter in the universe, everything is a wave! I had multiple moments where my brain became receptive to knowledge and allowed me to glimpse at the unity of all existence, one of the deepest pleasures of being a student of all of the basic sciences at the same time. It was a powerful time full of hard work in which I saw how much I had learned and tested my mettle on the battlefield of exams.
The Johns Hopkins Post-baccalaureate Premedical Program treated us well during the hectic time period at the end of the semester. One night they hosted a relaxed pizza party for us. During finals week, a delicious, catered breakfast was served for all of us, and we ate granola, eggs, hash browns, sausage, and fruit with relief in our eyes for exams already taken and anticipation for those to come. Applicants to the program for next year have begun to submit their applications and get interviews here, and as part of their visit to Baltimore, the directors of our program like to let the prospective students meet with current students for another perspective on the program. To facilitate this, they ask current students to give prospective students tours of campus, and in exchange we are given money to take ourselves and the prospective students out to lunch at the Hopkins food court. Being a gastronomically-inclined socialite, I have already given 4 tours. It has been enjoyable to showcase Hopkins to aspiring students while also warning them about the rigor and stress of the program, all over free lunch. It has been fun.
Baltimore was particularly beautiful during the late fall. The Hopkins campus was full of these unbelievably fuchsia-red trees that amazed me every time I saw them.
 |
You can imagine how stunning fall is on the mid-Atlantic
seaboard. |
Random bike excursions have also shown me other beautiful parts of Baltimore. One street in particular, a street that runs through the historic Mt. Vernon neighborhood, always takes my breath (literally, because it is on an uphill slope, but mostly figuratively because of its beauty). Look at the architecture of these houses--it is unlike anything I grew up with in Wyoming.
 |
I'm in the center-back with Joker-style scars on my cheeks.
To the left of me is Tim, covering his face to my right is
Tim's roommate Noah, and in front of me is Anna,
the dance instructor herself. |
Despite the demands of our program, we post-baccs are a festive bunch with irresistible urges to be creative and enjoy each other's company beyond just being study buddies and flashcard flippers for each other. One of my best friends in the program, Anna, decided to host a dance session in which she taught all interested parties how to dance Michael Jackson's "Thriller" dance. This had long been on an unwritten bucket list in my head, and it was such a blast to learn the dance under the auspices of a real dancer and in a dance studio at Johns Hopkins University, of all bizarre places. To heighten the fun and realism of the evening, Anna's roommate Stevie-Jay brought makeup and helped everyone become zombies, many of whom show how they died by their festering makeup wounds (be they a large bite out of Joey the hotdog or the suppurating, infectious pustules of Tim). Suffice it to say, we had a blast trying to dance a mere fraction as well as the King of Pop himself.
 |
From left to right: Joey, Danika, me, Anna, Tim, and
Ashley in Central Park, not one block from the Mt. Sinai
medical school campus. Can you imagine how great of
a life that would be? |
As post-bacc students, we have a unique opportunity to pursue a "linkage" to a medical school, a system somewhat akin to early decision for undergraduate admissions. You apply only to one medical school, but you apply this year and begin medical school next year, without having to wait an entire annual cycle to undergo the normal admissions process. In order to "link" to a school, it is mandatory that you attend a special visit day for potential linkers hosted by the medical school. I went up to New York City for an extremely fun, fast weekend in order to look into a couple of the medical schools up there, of which there are many phenomenal ones. I focused my attention on Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. I won't go into details here, but I was so impressed by both schools and so exhilarated about medical school during my entire trips and thereafter. While in New York, I also availed myself of the opportunity to see one of my best friends, Susannah, who is teaching at an incredible charter school system called Uncommon Schools that has actually been able to close the achievement gap between impoverished kids (often of color) and those of higher socioeconomic background. She and I saw a stunning version of
Romeo and Juliet on Broadway starring Orlando Bloom as Romeo and set in such a way that all of the Capulets were black and all of the Montagues white, making the age-old family feud one of race. It was theater like I have rarely seen it and such a treat.
 |
Susannah and I on the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge.
There really is no other place quite like the Big Apple. |
 |
A view from atop a housing building at Columbia's
medical school campus. My tie is flying and my eyes
are closed, but the view of downtown Manhattan is stunning! |
For Thanksgiving break, I was able to go see part of my family up at my sister Carolyn's new home in Morgantown, West Virginia. She and her husband Kip graciously hosted me, my parents, and my siblings Amy and Josh in their beautiful new home in Morgantown, a pretty town similar in some ways to Laramie, Wyoming with its friendly people and its natural pulchritude. It was such a treat to eat home-cooked meals and chill out with my family for a few days. We saw both
Frozen and
Catching Fire in a local movie theater in Morgantown, both of which movies were fantastic! And getting to see my four beautiful nieces was such a treat, especially given the lengths to which they had gone to make me feel welcome with cards and decorations. (Poor Nora, however, was afraid of me because of my long hair and my unkempt beard and mustache grown for Movember!) It was a much-needed break to refuel before the end of the semester.
 |
| Beautiful, white Wyoming, the place I call home |
When the semester finished, I got to go home to Wyoming, my home sweet home on the range. I had one of the best Christmas vacations that I can remember and relaxed more deeply and felt more peace than I have felt in awhile. For one, I count the blessing of having all of my family happy and healthy more than I ever have now that I see some of the debilitating disease and death that can bring hardship to a family. Secondly, I was so relieved to have successfully finished a difficult semester at Hopkins with my love of science and interest in medicine stronger than ever before. It was such a relief to realize that I just have one more semester of this program and that I am capable of completing it successfully and strongly. Spending time with my family was priceless. Amy, Josh, and I watched the entire
Lord of the Rings trilogy, danced to Just Dance (and loved the new 2014 edition!), worked out at the recreation center, and just laughed a ton. Mom and I were brave enough to go on a run together. Dad showed me his old organic chemistry textbooks that he studied as an undergraduate. With Maria's family, Laura, and Paul, we all went to see a Colorado Avalanche hockey game, always a good time. Every moment I spent with my family meant so much to me. I felt more relaxed and happy than I believed was possible. It was such a gift from my family to me. It was really hard to say good-bye and leave their humor and their warmth.
 |
From left to right: Laura, Paul, and Maria look jovial,
and Addy rests on Maria's shoulder. |
Happy holidays to one and all! I am back in Baltimore and will post again soon since I am still not officially in classes but am instead participating in the Hopkins intersession, which is much more laid back. And a week from today, I turn 25 years old! Woo hoo! I love you all.
What a post! What a life! :) Thanks for the updates! I liked your description of the "reading days." Ha, it's almost like they give you "sleep time": once a day for a couple of hours, preferably during dark hours. Lol, the generosity! I LOVE those fuscia trees. So gorgeous! Your "Thriller" dance group picture was fun, too: thanks for posting it. Finally, I loved hearing about the trip to New York, the Thanksgiving break and the winter break - it was so nice seeing you, Bob. Here's to the last semester!!
ReplyDeleteOh, Bob, what great memories we share. Thank you for sharing a wonderful Christmas break with us. We are so blessed! By the way, Baltimore is SOOO beautiful in the fall; I'm glad you could tear away to visit us for awhile. :) We don't have the beautiful red trees, but we sure have people who adore you.
ReplyDeleteI always love your posts. The pictures and stories are priceless and they make me smile. I don't know why (it must be the mood I'm in) but I LOVED the photo and description of the night you learned to dance "Thriller." It made me smile. So thanks for sharing! You are an amazing student and I'm pumped for your last semester at Hopkins!
ReplyDeletei am so grateful for your blog posts and pics! you have such an amazing life because you are an amazing person and you keep it fun and exciting!
ReplyDeletewe can't wait to see you in Baltimore this summer and tour that wonderful JHU campus!