Dad was called to serve in the Cali, Colombia mission in the late 1970s. Because of issues in obtaining a visa, he was initially kept longer than anticipated in Provo's Missionary Training Center and then began his mission in a small town in Texas with a large Spanish-speaking population with no concrete date for his Colombia departure. He did eventually make it to Colombia, however, and spent four months of his mission in Medellín in 1979. Because of the violence that gripped the country in the 1980s and '90s after his departure, in large part due to the establishment of Pablo Escobar's Medellín cocaine cartel, Dad had not returned to Colombia in almost 40 years until the weekend that we spent together. Given the momentous experience that it represented, it was one of the richest weekends of my life.
I have numerous memories from my childhood hearing stories about Dad's mission that he would tell to entertain us. I remember hearing about rooftop showers with only cold water. I remember hearing about culinary adventures involving chicken soup with the chicken claw sticking out of the bowl and a different delicacy dish made of cow brain, both of which Dad politely choked down. I remember hearing about the fantastic companions Dad had, like Elder Scofield, and the less-than-stellar, like the one who served Dad a can of old beans that gave him horrendous gastroenteritis or the one who was chasing a lizard around the back of the house when the family responded to the knocks on the door. Because of what Colombia meant to Dad, it has always stood out to me, and over the years, I've let Colombian news and famous figures accumulate somewhere in the back of my mind as a result, whether it was reading Gabriel García Márquez in literature classes or appreciating new hits by Shakira more than others by Latin artists. Dad's story-telling left an indelible impression.
![]() |
| ¡Postobón! |
![]() |
| Dad's former home in Villa Hermosa |
On Saturday, we also took Medellín's metrocable, essentially a funicular, up past the horrendously impoverished shantytowns of northeastern Medellín to a nature reserve called Parque Arví. The views were stunning as we arrived, both for the vantage point allowing us to see almost the entire Aburrá Valley where Medellín rests and also for the rows upon rows of houses with inadequate tin roofs, dirt roads bereft of vehicles, and trash scattered about over whom the metrocable lifted us. After walking around Parque Arví, we took a rickety bus that sped along a curving, one-lane highway up to a small town called Santa Elena where supposedly the flower farms and their farmers can be found preparing for the large flower festival set to take place the following day (more below). We did not find the flowers. We did, however, find hoards of happy and perhaps a little borrachos Colombians along with dozens of peaceful, adorable, quite funny stray dogs who would peacefully congregate around and even nap on anyone seated who didn't shoo them away. We stopped underneath a small tent to buy some lunch at one point amidst the overwhelming crowds, noise, and grill smoke. We asked for these famous "gaseosas" to drink, but all they had was a 1.5 liter bottle, which we agreed to buy. We then asked for lunch, and all they had were meat-heavy arepas, which are cornmeal-based, thick tortillas. Mom being a vegetarian, we asked if we could just have them without meat, to which the waiter told us he had the solution: he would bring mom's with pechuga de pollo, chicken breast! We tried our hardest to hold back laughter. We specified that we didn't want chicken, either. The guy looked at us like we were crazy and ascertained that we just wanted tortillas and potatoes. We agreed and ended up each being served probably two enormous potatoes' worth of steamed potato and a flavorless tortilla. Each bite was a painful, masticatory act of politeness and face-saving--there was no pleasure in the endeavor as we each took down pounds of flavorless tuber. We all laughed our guts out thinking about the glycemic index of our carbohydrate-exclusive, bland-as-raw-tofu meal that we drowned in liters of sugary soda. Suffice it to say, by that evening we were all feeling starving and awful and simply devoured the expensive, more balanced meal that Mom and Dad bought us that night. | Yes, folks. Everything in this meal was on the white-yellow color spectrum. |
On Sunday morning, we went to the same chapel that Dad helped to dedicate in 1980. Though Dad didn't know anyone there specifically, he was only one degree removed from almost everyone we spoke with. Many people came up to us, as Colombians are very open, gregarious folk and especially notice new faces when they are gringos like us, and people truly lit up when Dad told them that he had been here for the dedication almost 40 years ago. It was beautiful to watch Dad and these people establish the friends and acquaintances they had in common or to see members' faces light up when they heard what Dad had done here. It was unforgettable seeing how strong these bonds are, regardless of the social or geographic distance between the US and Colombia, thanks to the service Dad performed there decades ago.
| Translation: "When you carry your water, you don't spill a drop." This entire thing is made of flowers, believe it or not. |
Mom and Dad had to leave on Sunday night after the flower festival, and their absence left a hole in my heart that it took a few good hours of useless lounging and crying to recover from. Our time together was unforgettably rich and meant so much to me.
I will write again soon about everything else that has been happening in my life.


i loved my time with you in Colombia this weekend...my only regret is how short it was.
ReplyDeletei loved the comment on the borrachos and gaseosas.
the silleteros were absolutely amazing and it was so fun to go back and see the small, little struggling branch (El Prado) now turned into a strong, amazing ward of the Church.
i was so grateful for your excellent Spanish that carried the day in all of our conversations...i guess i've lost a little in 40 years, eh?
thanks again for this incredible post and great memory that i will always cherish!!
Thanks for the update! I'm glad you, dad, and mom had such a great time!
ReplyDeleteThis post brought tears to my eyes. What an incredible weekend you shared together! I laughed out loud about the sugary sodas that helped to wash down the bland potatoes and flavorless tortillas. I became emotional as I read about the places you visited, and the flower festival you were able to see. This sounds like a truly priceless time and I'm so glad you documented it! I totally understand the feeling of having a hole in your heart that can only begin to be recovered from by crying and lounging. I feel that way when we say goodbye. I love you all so very much and I feel blessed beyond words to be in your family!
ReplyDeleteRob, thank you for preserving our beautiful memories. Perhaps I chose the wrong time to be a vegetarian! Hee hee! Like you, I have always wanted to see Colombia, and now I have. I only wish we could have spent more time . . . but now I know we will go back. Thank you for leading us to Colombia! I love you.
ReplyDelete