I got a job as an after-school teacher working for Oregon Episcopal School, a private K-12 school in the southwestern part of Portland. My job responsibilities are simple, but I derive much satisfaction from them since they all concern human interactions: I design, shop for, and cook two snacks a day for my students, I tutor students during one hour of required study time, and then I simply hang out with students and interact with them in appropriate but enjoyable ways as an adult mentor. The job, it turns out, is incredibly fun. I work specifically in the middle school, and I love my kids. Since Oregon Episcopal School is a private school, these kids come from very affluent backgrounds and have been raised to be confident and bright. On my first day on the job, two kids wrote me a survey that I had to fill out so they could learn about me. Yesterday, one extremely perspicacious kid (he's thirteen and will take calculus next year and hopes to study physics at MIT) was interrogating me regarding my political beliefs about government intervention in economics and my feelings on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. These kids come from fascinating backgrounds--two of my boys are the sons of Nike's President, I found out yesterday. One of my kids lived in Israel for awhile (the interrogator) and invests an allowance of $1,000 that his dad has given him to teach him about stocks and the market. Though philosophically I prefer the idea of public education so that all children, regardless of the socioeconomic background of their parents, have access to knowledge and social advancement through school, since this private teaching job is the one that presented itself, I'm embracing it and giving these kids the best I've got. It's not necessarily fair that they were born to wealthy parents who can afford to pay for private tutors, buy them private cello lessons, give them thousands to invest in stocks and take them around the world to live in multicultural environments, but they deserve love, too, so I'm giving them all my love. I love that these kids are being raised with opportunities and wide worldviews, and I merely wish that all children could have access to the same resources and possibilities. Regardless, my job is incredible.
I also adore my co-workers. They are sharp, educated, open-minded folks who instantly took me in. My work is 11 miles away from where I live, and I've been biking over the river (and really through the woods, too, though not to grandmother's house), and one day the PE teacher took me home in her car to save me the workout. On the way home, we stopped with her adorable daughter to get some donuts, and then we resumed singing along to Kidz Bop as I got a ride home from this wonderful stranger. My fellow after-school teacher and I get along really well, and she and I are going to carpool to save me some time and thigh energy. My boss is awesome and continually gives me freedom to do my thing and praise for the energy my co-worker and I are investing in the job. Anyway, it's all been incredible so far, and next week I'm substitute-teaching since I told the head of the school that I want to be put to as much use as possible! I'm thrilled to continue to learn in this job that I really enjoy.
| Multnomah Falls, totally impressive but very close to the highway, meaning gobs of tourists were mobbing the scene and depriving it of its tranquility |
| A random photo I snapped of a stream we encountered on our hike, but aren't the moss-covered tree, the stony brook, and the effulgent skies gorgeous? |
| Pittock Mansion, like Laramie's Ivinson Mansion, represents the residences of the societal elite of the late 1800s. Today it houses a museum dedicated to the same period. |
| My camera captured the many petals of this rose with great precision, much to my delight. There were dozens of species of roses of all different hues and redolences. |
| Here I stand under an archway of flowers right next to the Shakespeare Garden. How cool is that? |
For Labor Day, one of Susannah's good friends named Helen invited us to have a barbecue at her mom's place a little south of Portland in Tualatin. We prepared a salad with all sorts of garden vegetables and headed down. Everyone at the barbecue was wonderful--Helen and I met when she stopped through Laramie, and we instantly had a connection. She's a super successful lawyer who is nevertheless down to earth, emotionally sensitive, and hilarious. Her best friend is a gay man named CJ who is a vegan and has run 17 marathons in his life. CJ is one of the sweetest people I've ever met (not judgmental or pretentious at all, even though any vegan marathon-runner has the right to be in my eyes!), and his partner, Brandon, is also wonderful--a environmental engineer/architect who spent the barbecue with someone else's fussy baby and didn't complain when it spat up all over his nice shirt. They both have been so great to me but unfortunately are moving to Los Angeles where CJ will get his PhD in urban planning. Regardless, it was wonderful to meet them and to get to spend time with them both at the Labor Day barbecue and over a plate of nachos another night.
| From left to right: Brandon, CJ, me (ecstatic to be in between such rock star people!), Susannah, and Helen |
| UW's Suzzallo Library. How could you not want to study in there, especially when the reading room looks like something from Harry Potter? |
| One of four symmetrical buildings framing the quad, a large grassy area lined with cherry trees. Can you imagine how this looks in the spring when the trees are in bloom? |
| Seattle, folks. Ain't she purdy? Like my older sister Laura, I too have fallen in love with this astounding city. |
Hi, Bob: It is wonderful to hear you so happy and fulfilled. The photos are stunning. Indeed, Seattle is beautiful, and I can imagine you love it there. :) Your job sounds incredible. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. I love you!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're doing so well! You're right, that is one gorgeous campus! I always enjoy reading your blog posts. I loved talking to you yesterday and I hope you have a great week. I love you:)
ReplyDelete