Coming home to Wyoming was incredible. Although I didn't experience too much "reverse culture shock," there were certainly some things about the United States that I had forgotten. In the Denver International Airport, I was shocked to see how obese a few people were. The average American is probably pretty similar to the average Spaniard in terms of weight--pretty healthy, if carrying a few extra pounds. But the rates of obesity are very different between our two countries, and that was instantly apparent to me. I also noticed how wide streets are in Wyoming and how much water we put in our toilets. The little things really stuck out to me, which I found comical.
There was a collection of things that I really missed while in Spain, and it felt great to be back with them. I missed my Norton Anthology of the Complete Works of Shakespeare, and I've already dived into it with Much Ado About Nothing, a famous comedy of the Bard's. I also missed my pull-up bar and used it a few times after runs I took along the ridge above the Mormon Church in Laramie, a stretch of land that is slowly being developed as a residential neighborhood. I also had missed my bike while in Spain and rode it around town, loving the feel of the pedals beneath my feet and the burn in my thighs as I pumped away. It was wonderful to be reunited with old things, and opening up old boxes of clothes was like receiving a whole new wardrobe. It was like Christmas Day in July. :)
I spent my time in Laramie doing many fulfilling things. Amy and I had generated an enormous list of movies to watch while together in Spain and France, and we were quite systematic in picking them off, one by one, night by night. We watched movies related to France (The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Man in the Iron Mask), a classic thriller movie that is one of my all-time favorites (Minority Report), as well as a host of chick-flicks (Sense and Sensibility, Eclipse, New Year's Eve). They were all great, and it was fun to enjoy cinema with my sister. She and I also studied vocabulary and talked about strategies for the ACT and college applications, and I know that she will have enormous success and will be able to do whatever it is she wants with her life. She is so talented and bright, and the world is her oyster. Josh and I were really good about going to the Recreation Center to work out our abdominal muscles (since Josh really wants washboard abs) and to work on our swimming strokes (since Josh is going to join the swim team next year). It was so fun to teach Josh how to swim different strokes, how to breathe properly, how to flip-turn, how to do a breaststroke pull-out, how to start off the blocks, and other things of the sort. He's a fast learner, and he'll love doing the swim team with Laramie's Tom Hudson. The entire family also watched the Olympics almost every night, cheering for US wins, gasping and sighing as people fell off the pommel horse, and enjoying this once-every-four-years spectacle.
| A beautiful cake made by Mary Centrella, my brilliant, supportive, hilarious red-headed friend who spent quality time with me and helped me process a difficult relationship |
| From left to right: my mother, my youngest brother Josh, my father, my younger sister Amy, and my older sister Laura, all some of the most amazing people you'll ever meet |
| Ali working her tush off, making rounds of calls and assiduously documenting everything that she does in their computer database |
I was also fortunate enough to get to borrow my mom's car to drive to the western part of Wyoming and down into Salt Lake City and Provo. In western Wyoming, I spent the afternoon with my sister Maria. She is thriving there, and it was wonderful to see her. Her husband, Clark, is re-tiling their house, and it looks great. Their house is spacious and beautiful, and their backyard is enormous, leaving lots of space for their energetic dog, Pepper. Their children, Will, Rosie, and Adalyn, are all beautiful, bright, and very kind to their Uncle Bob. And Maria is as great as ever, growing as a mother, wife, and independent woman, continuing to find the best life for her. We had really good, healing talks, and it was truly a miracle to get to spend the time that we had together. I then drove into Deer Valley where I spent the evening with the Johnsons and with my old friend John Bonner. The Johnsons invited me to a delicious buffet dinner and then to see a show called "Broadway Rocks!" in which the Utah Symphony Orchestra performed Broadway classics and classic rock hits with Broadway stars. The show was phenomenal and included "The Wizard and I" from Wicked, a couple of songs from The Phantom of the Opera, and a chilling version of "I Will Always Love You" that was literally as good as Whitney Houston (which I thought was impossible) and brought me to tears. The show was out of this world, and John and I then went back to the Johnsons' "cabin" in Deer Valley where I spent the night in a room larger than some peoples' entire house. This "cabin" was one of the most opulent buildings I have ever seen and included at least 5 master bedroom suites, a fiber optic bar in the kitchen, a ceiling of constellations and shooting stars, a full exercise room, an indoor waterfall, a cave shower, and other amenities. It was ridiculously elegant and such a pleasure to spend an evening there and then to speak with Peter in the morning about law school and my different career options.
| The Cowboy Suite, where I slept, which had a balcony that opened to an incredible view. |
Everything about being home was extremely positive except for some emotional entanglements that I accidentally got roped into with some manipulative individuals and my ex-boyfriend. It got particularly ugly and sad for me to deal with once or twice during my time in Wyoming, but my family was entirely there for me and helped me find the strength to push through despite a lot of shock, disillusionment, and occasional sorrow. If anything, this disagreeable situation was a reminder to me to treat others with dignity and respect, to be intentional about romantic relationships, and to desire always nothing but the best for oneself and others. Though I felt really confused and wounded by what happened, I think the clouds have dispersed and I've re-found my happiness and confidence.
Once again, thank you to my amazing family for filling my days with joy and for giving me a place to stay. It was such a pleasure to catch up with my loved ones again and spend some time in the city that I will always call home. I miss you all and will write about my adventures in Oregon soon. (Yes, they've already begun!)
Hey Bob! I happened upon your blog again and had the great fortune and surprise of finding two new entries, one about your travels with your family and the other about reacquainting with home. I'm very happy to know that you were able to see so many new places, appreciate all the love and wonderful people you have in your life, and continue having an incredible series of life experiences. I'm sorry to hear you encountered some emotional entanglements upon return to home, but I'm glad you rose above it and returned to a positive place with your natural, optimistic outlook. I'm eager to hear about how your adventures unfold in Oregon!
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this post, Bob! Thanks for what you said about me. You're too sweet. :) It was so fun to have you home with us and I miss you lots, though I hope you're doing great in Oregon. I also loved the use of "assiduous!" I don't know if you remembered, but that is one of our vocab words! Anyway, I love you and I can't wait to hear about your adventures in Oregon!
ReplyDeleteMira lo que me encuentro!!! Escondido lo tenías!!! Un abrazo muy muy grande, tío, espero que las cosas vayan genial por Portland, y que te veamos pronto de nuevo por Madrid!!
ReplyDelete