The past few weeks have been marvelous. To begin, I had a period of about a week and a half in which I indulged in my theatrical side and saw a series of plays. The first play was originally Norwegian and titled
Elling. It was recommended to me by the family to whom I teach a private English class since their son, who no longer lives at home, does the lighting and special effects for the theater that produced it. (Later in this blog I include another story about this family and a photo of some of them.) The play was great and told the story of two men who are finally deemed "normal" enough to live outside of the insane asylum where they have lived for years. It tells their mostly comical but sometimes sad and oftentimes poignant story of assimilating to society with their idiosyncrasies and differences. The second play,
Noches blancas by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, took place in a small theater called the Teatro de Cámara Chéjov (which is how Spaniards transliterate the English transliteration "Chekhov"). I went with Ana from my school and two of her friends. The play was strange and told the story of an exuberant, somewhat childlike woman and a lonely, poetic man who almost fall in love through their nightly encounters in a park. After the play, Ana and I went out for a Moroccan dinner here in my neighborhood, Lavapiés. It was a great night.
The last play, however, was probably the most powerful. I invited quite a few people to come to see
El proyecto Laramie (
The Laramie Project) and also encouraged those people to invite their own friends. In the end, our group contained 17 people, and because we wanted so many tickets, the theater company gave us a group discount of 50% off of all the tickets, which was such a great deal for us. The show took place in a beautiful theater in Madrid that was once an old military barracks called the Conde Duque. It occupies an entire block and is a true behemoth, an austere building of stone and gargantuan proportions. The play evoked emotion in me, as it always does, and it fomented a great discussion afterwards about the death penalty, the community of Laramie, gay rights, and other things. It was so wonderful to be there with my usual group of friends (Ana, Ángel, Mike, Ali, and Kelly), among others (Kelly brought ten of her own friends, all of them Spaniards), and to get to have a great discussion about important issues because said issues were raised by a beautiful piece of art. It was a pleasure and a night I will never forget.
 |
From left to right: Ruth, the mother; me; Adriana, the daughter;
Ruth's sister-in-law; Ruth's brother. Eugenio took the photo. |
I have also continued to enjoy and deepen my friendships with some Spanish families. Ana and her family have invited me to go spend some time on the beach with them in Valencia during a big festival in that region called Las Fallas, so we will begin to plan that vacation. Ruth and Eugenio, the parents of the family that I teach every week, invited me over to their place to have lunch one Sunday. Eugenio taught me how to make gambas al ajillo con alioli (garlic shrimp with ali-oli sauce on bread) so that I can take some Spanish culinary techniques back to the United States. He had already prepared a delicious paella and salad when I arrived, so we all ate like kings with multiple courses, which is very common for Spaniards. Earlier this very week, I also had the chance to have dinner with Nani, Alfredo, and their son Alejandro. Alfredo is Adriana Noya's brother, and I taught Alex English one summer a few years ago. It was great to catch up with them and see how well they're all doing. Alex has grown a ton and Nani and Alfredo were just as nice and giving as they've always been. They fed me well and then sent me home with lots of delicious leftovers. It was extremely sweet of them.
 |
| From left to right: Nani, Alfredo, me, and Alex |
Just this afternoon, I returned from the Fulbright Program's mid-year meeting. Because we are a little more than half-way through the duration of our grants, Fulbright brings us back together to enjoy each other's company, share what we've done so far, and inspire each other to finish the year out strong. Everyone on a Fulbright grant in all of Spain and Andorra came to Valladolid, the capital of Castilla y León, for a few wonderful days. We had lots of presentations and workshops about all sorts of things. Some sessions were smaller, collaborative groups in which we expressed the challenges and concerns about our work or in which we shared the type of community service in which we've engaged thus far. Other sessions included all of the conference members and contained really neat presentations. In one session, all of the Fulbright scholars who are American university professors teaching or researching in Spain presented, and it was thrilling. One professor at Berkeley is looking at how the European Union and Spain specifically are working on environmental policy iniciatives. Another scholar is researching how to put chemotherapeutical chemicals into miniscule air particles so that chemotherapy drugs can be inhaled and target cancerous cells more specifically, thereby reducing the side effects of intense chemotherapy. In another session, the student researchers presented on their work up until now--one girl doing social entrepreneuring in Barcelona, one guy doing chemical ecology in Cádiz, my friend doing gender performance and flamenco in Sevilla. These sessions were so inspirational and thrilling. I was also the moderator for a panel in which I was the representative from the Comunidad de Madrid for the teaching assistants' experience. I got to speak both about my personal and my professional life, and it was great to have to reflect on what I've done so for and, through extrapolation, consider where I'm going with the rest of this scholarship. All of the sessions were wonderful.
 |
The courtyard of a building at the Universidad
de Valladolid where our meetings took place. |

In terms of the "non-work" part of the conference, it was so great to reconnect with some old friends, make some new ones, and see a new city. Fulbright scheduled in some extracurricular activities, so I was able to visit a beautiful old library from the Universidad de Valladolid with lots of old manuscripts from the Middle Ages, some of the first prints of rare books in the Renaissance, and other cool texts. I also got to go with our group to tour the Bodega Protos Ribera del Duero, a vineyard and winery right underneath a beautiful castle about an hour away from Valladolid. Throughout the conference we were served delicious meals in an extremely fancy ballroom in the hotel, our hotel was very elegant, centrally-located, and great, and the whole experience was fantastic. Ali was my roommate, and she and I had our usual wonderful talks. I also had the opportunity (because I snuck out early on one of the sessions!) to visit the house where Cervantes lived while he was a resident of Valladolid in the first decade of the 1600s. Though I felt bad for leaving one session early, I really wanted to take advantage of being in the city, and I told myself that, since one day I want to teach literature, it was really a long-term investment in myself as a scholar and pedagogue. :) Regardless, the mid-year meeting was a complete success. I had tons of fun, I feel really inspired by all of the bright, motivated, good-hearted people that I met, and I just felt so privileged to be on a Fulbright scholarship this year since Fulbright really spoils us. For example, in addition to paying for our meals, our transporation fees to and from Valladolid, our hotel expenses, the winery tour, and all of that, we were each given 50 euros of spending money for our time up there. It felt like being a kid again and getting allowance! Fulbright takes wonderful care of its scholars, and its such a privilege to be a part of this program this year. It also just introduces you to some of the most stimulating individuals. I met a sweet woman who is finishing her dissertation on Miguel de Unamuno and who just got a job offer for a tenure-track position at Yale. I met and then spoke quite a bit with the professor who presented about chemotherapy particles, a man who got his PhD in nanophysics at Harvard and who is in Spain with his husband of 14 years, a jolly, light-hearted man who also became my friend. It was just so inspirational to be around such bright, brave people for a few precious days.
 |
The castle above the vineyard and winery--isn't Europe
the best? |
Though things are "back to normal" here, I feel renewed and inspired because of the conference. I just took a long jog in Parque El Retiro in Madrid since I might compete in a triathlon in late May with a new friend I made at the conference named Colin, and I'm ready to continue to suck the marrow out of these Spanish bones for 4-5 more months before I come back to the United States of America!
Below are two photos from when Miguel and I were in the apartment of a super rich gay couple on the top residential floor of the Torre de Madrid with a rainbow behind us on one side and a sunset on the other. I meant to put these up a long time ago, but here they finally are.
 |
You can just barely see one end of the enormous rainbow
on the left-hand side of the photo. |
 |
Life doesn't get better than a sunset on a skyscraper
in a European capital. |
Dear Bob, I am blown away, yet again, by the amazing community you have built for yourself there in Spain! All of your adventures sound absolutely incredible! I LOVED your description of the Fulbright conference, the sessions you were able to attend, the people you met...and then your Spanish friends who you are growing so close to. OH, Bob...you really ARE sucking the marrow out of those bones!:) Enjoy every moment! I love and miss you tons!
ReplyDeleteBob, your posts never fail to inspire me and make me happy. You are learning and experiencing so much and it truly is inspiring. Thanks for taking the time to share all the details with us. It helps me to "take the edge off" how much I miss you -- is that a weird thing to say? It reassures me that you're doing well and I feel like I'm connected to you because I read about your friends and I see pictures. Anyway, I appreciate all the time you take to update. I am glad your Fulbright conference went so well and I'm glad you enjoyed the three plays you were able to attend.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Carolyn. It is wonderful to hear about your adventures and to see you so happy. The photos and descriptions are delightful! I love the little independent streak in you that went to see Cervantes house. Very cool! I love you dearly. Thank you for sharing your life with us; we are blessed! :)
ReplyDeleteBob, I hadn't realized you have been keeping a public blog about your times here. I read through this and a number of your past entries and I have found your writing to be rich with ideas and self-evaluation, which of course is positively contagious. I'll be following along!
ReplyDeleteHow incredible! The thing that stands out most in my mind is that picture of that sunset! You said it - it doesn't get much better, because that is absolutely stunning :) I am glad to hear you enjoyed your Valladolid/midway-through meeting with the other scholars. Haha, I loved your description of the 50 euros as allowance. Your writing is still wonderful, I love hearing about all of the things you're doing and glad to hear things are going well.
ReplyDelete